Chatham Forest Community Meals
For many kids, summertime means two things: fun and friends. But when school’s out, that also means that families can’t count on their kids eating meals at school. To tackle this problem, Trinity Park Church in partnership with USDA, will be serving nutritious meal to children at Chatham Forest Apartment community throughout this summer!
- Many kids don’t eat well during the summer
- 85% of kids from economically-challenged families in NC are not accessing the summer nutrition program
- 2 years ago there were NO summer meals sites in Western Wake county.
- This summer there are 12 sites. And we’re one of them!
The kick-off party will take place on June 8th at 6pm.
It will include crafts, games, music, food, plus participation of Project PHOENIX (Cary PD) and Cary Fire Department. All are welcome to come and celebrate the beginning of Summer break and launch of our Summer Meals program.
Then every Tuesday and Friday 5:30pm - 7:00pm we’ll be there to distribute the meals
Ending with another celebration event on Aug 18.
Volunteers are needed to:
- Setup few tables and chairs
- Distribute the meals
- Oversee on-site consumption
- Provide fun activities for kids (reading a story, games, etc)
- Grilling burgers and hotdogs during community-wide events
- Build relationships with the residents
Volunteer Training will take place on May 29 & 31 at 6pm at Pleasant Grove Church (1528 Davis Dr, Cary, NC 27519). It is 1 hour long and only one of those days need to be attended. Please inform Alexey Negru which day can you make it.
The Summer Food Service Program (USDA) ensures children receive nutritious meals when school is not in session.
Western Wake Human Services provides support, supplies and resources for sponsors and site supervisors
Project PHOENIX is a Community Outreach organization developed by the town of Cary Police Department.
Pleasant Grove Church is our sponsor who provides training, prepares and delivers meals to a site, and ensures compliance with USDA